Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday Walks





Today I had the privilege of taking a walk all by myself. I do this often, but never with the purpose of just walking. I have to go to the bank, or to run at the park, or to the post office. There seems to always be somewhere I am GOING. But not today. Today I was going nowhere and it was one of my favorite days. I saw the sky today for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten how blue it was. There is lots and LOTS of smog here in China. It rarely ever clears, but today it did. I miss the sky, but hadn't really noticed it until now. 
I am fine. Sank you. How are you? 

I got to thinking about that. I wondered why, in the 8-9 months I've been here have I never really looked up. As I walked further I got my answer. I chose to walk a different way than usual. On our way to the Gong Yuan (park) and the Hui Yi Mei (grocery store plaza) we pass several shops and are always greeted by our friends. It takes us a long time to get anywhere because we are always stoping to talk. 



My boy Taylor!!!!
But today I went a different direction. A road I almost never walk down. I brought my i-pod with me and popped it in. I had it on shuffle and man did it play me some good tunes. We had the "Lovers in Japan" by Coldplay, "In My Life" by the Beatles, and finally "Home" by the Foo Fighters. I walked around and it was like every little thing stood out to me. It was like my own little music video. The little boy standing on his fathers scooter as the wind blows his hair straight up in the air. The old man that always walks with his hands clasped behind his back. The group of dishwashers with dirty white uniforms squatting on the top of the wall laughing with one another. The woman sweeping up trash on the street with a broom made out of twigs. I passed by a group of school kids. They still had their grimy little uniforms on and had uprooted several bamboo sticks. They were in the middle of the street going totally kung fu on each other and I couldn't help but let the smile spread across my face. On my way home I passed another group of kids outside a lighting store. (Which we have LOTS of by the way) It has started raining again here. (This weather is so confusing) So mostly everyone stays inside. But I watched as these four little kids pulled the string off of one of their shirts and used it as a game. They would hold it up by both ends and see who could jump over it without touching. I was able to jump the highest.... Just sayin'. I got skills! Haha. 
My backyard right after the rain.

I have made so many friend here in Guzhen. I have fallen so incredibly in love with our students. I love how small our little town is because it means I see them at the grocery store or that, when I'm on the street, I hear Tom's little raspy voice shout "TEEACHAAA!" out the car window. But instead of stopping and talking today... I just watched. I love just watching these people. Maybe its because I only have a month left or maybe its just because I am (although I hate to admit it) an incredibly nostalgic and mushy person...but I had a moment today. A moment. I can't describe it. But the things I saw today were committed to memory. I walked around listening to good music and walking amongst good people. Good day. 


Meet Charlie. Half Korean.Half Chinese.
WHOLE adorable. 
Who cares if you cant see the blue sky! There is beauty all around us here. Beauty in the little kids playing with rocks instead of marbles. Beauty in the smile of the fruit lady on the street. Beauty is every where you look here. Its in the people. I will admit that there are a lot of things at home that I took for granted. Staples. Things I thought I must have in order to be happy. But I am realizing that it is much simpler than that. It is much more simple than air conditioning, blow dryers, cameras and TV shows. Its people. Its the people you choose to surround yourself with that truly make you happy. 

I have sacrificed living in a place with clean streets and clean water to live in a place with happy, humble people with open and warm hearts. That, to me, is no sacrifice at all. It just makes sense to be here. It just makes sense to eat rice every day and to use chopsticks for everything. It just makes sense. I can't believe I only have a month left!!!!!!!! Yikes!


No comments:

Post a Comment