Saturday, May 14, 2011

Xi'an!


By the time we got to Xi'an
we were all SO exhausted!
Xi'an had DELICIOUS street food
and lots of funny people.

After my five days in Beijing, we hopped on a "K" train to Xi'an. I had never been there before and was looking forward to seeing the Terracotta Warriors. We only had a short two days there before we needed to go home. As soon as we stepped off the train I could tell that this city was different. Even the TRAIN station is beautiful! The whole city is surrounded by The Great Wall. You can take a tour or even ride your bike on the wall. Everything is so gorgeous and all the rooftops are built in accordance to traditional chinese architecture. We visited a Masque and ate lots of good food. The next day we woke up early to catch a bus to the Terracotta Warriors. I hadn't really thought much about the significance of it. I was excited to see them because it was just one more thing I could mark off my list. It wasn't like I expected. We didn't have to hike through dirt mounds to get there or stand behind plated glass. You walk into a huge building that looks like a museum and there before you is Qin Shi Huang's army. I couldn't believe it. It was HUGE! 

Pit 1 of the Terracotta Warriors.
But it wasn't necessarily the vastness of it that struck me. When you stand there you can see all of their faces. They have different body types, facial features and garb. Each and every one is unique. I don't think I fully understood the meaning behind this. It was so amazing to be looking into the faces of men that lived in 210 BC! What an amazingly significant piece of China's history. I will be honest to admit I teared up a bit. Man, that was such an amazing experience. I know I sound like a broken record but I am so incredibly grateful for the things I am continually learning here. 

Cutest boy alive.
Sat behind me on the plane.
He is like a tiny little adult
in his suit jacket.
Xi'an was a perfect way to end the vacation. It was quiet, relaxing and fun. I had a blast on vacation! I am home now and preparing the students for their graduation ceremony. We are teaching them a dance and even have to prepare one for ourselves. (Poor chinese people have to watch us dance!) Haha. It should be interesting. There is lots of work and its busy-busy-busy trying to wrap everything up and finish paperwork non-sense. I am still loving the kids to death and having a blast. Mom, I have worked out the numbers and its official. I am bringing home 47 chinese kids with me. You might want to stock up on chopsticks. I love you!
Flew on my first plane in China!



We had extra time to explore Guangzhou 
when we got back and I just found it funny 
that this lady was swinging around 
a dead chicken. Gotta love China!

A couple of teachers from Changzhou 
told me if I went to Xi'an to get the lamb soup. 
They were SO right! Its soooooo good!

                     





No comments:

Post a Comment